Categories
Asia Pacific World

Masked Men Attack Students in Rampage at University in New Delhi


By late Sunday, government officials across party lines denounced the attack at Jawaharlal Nehru University. Mr. Modi’s party characterized it as a “desperate attempt by forces of anarchy who are determined to use students as cannon fodder.” India’s foreign minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, called it “completely against the tradition and culture of the university.”

“Condemn the violence unequivocally,” he wrote on Twitter.

In a statement released shortly after the attack started, university administrators called on students to remain calm and emphasized that the police had been asked to restore order against “masked miscreants.”

But some students said the authorities stood by as the mob rampaged on their campus, breaking into dormitories with broken bottles and bats, and forcing terrified students to barricade themselves in their rooms.

Videos posted on social media showed members of the mob walking, undeterred, on the campus with iron rods, and people reported being beaten as the police watched. By midnight, hundreds of other activists from far-right Hindu groups had gathered on the streets, threatening journalists and vandalizing vehicles. As students fled through the university’s gates, some said police officers told them to chant “Hail Mother India.”

“The police were acting like accomplices,” said Ananya Pandey, 24, a former student who was visiting friends on campus when the attack occurred.

In an interview with Asian News International, a local outlet, Devender Arya, a deputy police commissioner, said the authorities had entered the campus as soon as they received word from the university. He denied accusations that the police were passively or actively abetting the attacks, and promised legal action against the attackers.

“The university continues to be peaceful,” he said. “As far as we are concerned, the university area is absolutely under control.”



Source link

Categories
Video

Alabama shooting: Teenage boy ‘kills entire family’ in rampage at home



A 14-year-old boy shot and killed five of his family members on Monday night in Alabama before throwing away the gun and calling the police, officials said. 

The teenager admit to the shooting when he was interviewed by a responding officer, according to the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office. 

The boy is “currently assisting investigators in locating weapon, a 9mm handgun that he said he tossed nearby,” a statement read. 


The sheriff’s office said five people were shot, with three dying at the scene and two later in hospital. It was not immediately clear when or how the the boy obtained the gun. 

The killings follow a rash of mass shootings in the US, including one in Texas that left seven people dead and 22 wounded, including a toddler.

Last month, a gunman killed 22 people and wounded another 24 in El Paso, Texas, while another assailant killed nine and injured 27 in Dayton, Ohio.

That gunman, who went on a shooting rampage across West Texas, obtained an assault-style rifle despite failing a background check, state and law enforcement officials said on Monday.


Texas shooting: Trump claims background checks would not have stopped any mass shootings in past seven years

The gunman, identified by police as Seth Aaron Ator, 36, carried out the shooting spree in the neighbouring cities of Midland and Odessa on Saturday, a short time after he was fired from his trucking job. 

He called local emergency 911 responders and then an FBI tip line to make rambling statements, officials said.

The officials noted the reported gunman did not threaten to commit violence in those calls.

Amid renewed national debate, Donald Trump said at the weekend background checks on gun purchasers would not have prevented recent violence.

The 14-year-old involved in the Alabama shooting has not yet been identified. 

Additional reporting by Reuters



Source link

Categories
Video

Texas shooting: More than $190,000 raised for toddler shot in face during gun rampage



Hundreds of thousands of dollars has been raised for a toddler shot in the face during a gun rampage in Texas which has killed at least seven people and injured 22. 

Anderson Davis, a 17-month-old girl, was wounded by bullet fragments when a 36-year-old gunman went on a shooting spree in the cities of Midland and Odessa on Saturday. She suffered serious injuries to her mouth, lips and tongue.

A GoFundMe page, set up by family friend Haylee Wilkerson, has so far raised more than $190,000 (£157,000) to help pay for the child’s recovery. 


The girl’s mother, whose name has not been given, told Texas governor Greg Abbott that despite her injuries, she still wants to “run around and play”. 

“This is all of our worst nightmare, but thank God she’s alive and relatively well,” Mr Abbott said, reading out the mother’s message. “Toddlers are funny because they can get shot and still want to run around and play. We are thanking God for that.”

Mr Abbott said the mother had revealed the girl would have surgery on Monday. According to the GoFundMe page, Anderson “has a hole through her bottom lip and tongue and her front teeth were knocked out”. 

Details about the Labor Day weekend shooting and the names of some of the victims were emerging online and from officials on Sunday and early Monday. Police continued to comb through 15 different crime scenes in neighbouring Midland and Odessa.

The gunman had been sacked from his truck-driving job in Odessa on Saturday morning, the New York Times and other media reported.

The bloodshed began just hours later when two state troopers pulled over a car on Interstate 20 and the lone occupant fired at their patrol vehicle with a rifle, wounding one of them.

Armed with an AR-type rifle, the suspect drove away, spraying gunfire indiscriminately, the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a statement.

At one point, he abandoned his vehicle and hijacked a postal van and mortally wounded the postal carrier, who was identified as Mary Grandos, 29.

He was later cornered by officers in the car park of a cinema complex in Odessa. He was shot and killed.

“There are no definitive answers as to motive or reasons at this point, but we are fairly certain that the subject did act alone,” Odessa police chief Michael Gerke said at a news conference.

Anderson Davis was wounded following a shooting rampage in Texas (GoFundMe)

“She didn’t deserve this,” the tearful twin sister of Ms Grandos said in an interview with CNN on Sunday. “I was talking to her on the phone and she said she heard gunshots but didn’t know where they were coming from.

“I heard her screaming,” Rosie Grandos said. “I was hearing her cry and scream for help. I didn’t know what was happening.”

The Washington Post reported that others among the dead were Edwin Peregrino, 25, who was killed outside of the home he moved into a few weeks ago.

Also killed was Leilah Hernandez, 15, who had just celebrated a coming of age party, the newspaper reported.

Joseph Griffith, 40, was reportedly killed as he waited at a traffic light with his wife and two children.


CBS7 News anchors evacuated from studio live on air due to threat of active shooter in Odessa Texas

Three police officers were shot and wounded – one from Midland, one from Odessa and one state trooper – and were in a stable condition.

It was the second mass shooting in Texas in four weeks. On 3 August, a gunman from the Dallas area killed 22 people in another Saturday shooting at a Walmart store about 255 miles west of Midland in the city of El Paso, Texas.

President Donald Trump called the Odessa-Midland shooter “a very sick person”, but said background checks on gun buyers would not have prevented recent US gun violence.

Additional reporting by Reuters



Source link

Categories
Television

The Rock movies ranked in order of ridiculousness, from Hobbs and Shaw to Rampage



So ubiquitous over the course of the last 20 years that they had to name him thrice, no one does stupid quite like Dwayne Johnson, the man formerly known as The Rock and then, briefly, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. And his shifting aliases have nodded to the three different incarnations he’s embraced over the years.

When he was just The Rock, eyebrow-raising breakout star of the 1990s WWF, he was deathly serious, an intense caricature of machismo who struck fear in any number of brawny men. By the time he was Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, he had transformed into the comic relief, the scene-stealing co-star of films like Get Smart and Be Cool.

But once he had dropped his old moniker entirely, for the more straight-forward “Dwayne Johnson”, he had lost his mind, transforming into the undefeated king of the outrageous movie. Today Johnson is less a serious actor than a man synonymous with giant apes, gravity-defying leaps and Idris Elba with robot implants in his back.


To celebrate the release of Hobbs & Shaw, a film so ludicrous that the rest of the Fast & Furious franchise would probably judge it, we’ve decided to rank his entire filmography from least to most ridiculous. So for every changing season and every shift of mood, you will have the perfect Johnson to kick back with.

Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw is in cinema now



Source link