Piers Morgan clashes with Susanna Reid over Victoria Beckham furloughing staff

Piers Morgan clashes with Susanna Reid over Victoria Beckham furloughing staff


Piers Morgan clashes with Susanna Reid over Victoria Beckham furloughing staff 1

Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan has launched a scathing attack on Victoria Beckham after the former Spice Girls singer’s fashion company furloughed staff amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Beckham’s eponymous fashion label placed approximately 30 staff on furlough, utilising the government’s job retention scheme, and presenter Morgan was critical of the move on Monday morning’s edition of Good Morning Britain.

“Talking about altruism and generosity, how nice it was to read over the weekend that Victoria Beckham has decided to furlough 30 of the staff of her failing fashion business – the one that makes no money, that loses money year after year, the one that’s been bailed out until now by her fabulously rich husband, David Beckham,” Morgan said.


“But no, Victoria Beckham decided her gift to the nation would be to take tax payer money to furlough her staff.

“I wonder when the next video of them drinking two grand bottles of wine or boasting about their £17 million new home in Miami [will appear].

“This furlough scheme was not for prima donna multimillionaires like you two running a failed vanity business that makes no money.”

Morgan’s co-host Susanna Reid came to Beckham’s defence, however, saying: “Well, hang on, fashion businesses are equivalent businesses to anything else. The furlough scheme does not specify that it’s for essential business.

“I feel comfortable with the fact the furlough scheme is about saving jobs. That is the point of the furlough scheme. She is topping up their pay because the furlough scheme only pays 80 per cent.”

Under the scheme the government is covering 80 per cent of wages up to £2,500 a month per employee, and business owners are not required to cover the remaining 20 per cent.

“What are we talking? £70-80,000 a year?” Morgan asked. “How much do the Beckhams earn in a minute?

“Why don’t you ask our viewers if you think it is a good idea for Victoria and David Beckham to charge the taxpayer tens of thousands of pounds?”

David Beckham played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and England in an illustrious footballing career and married Victoria Beckham in 1999.


Source link

Check Also

<p>Hollie Arnold said she had ‘enjoyed every single moment’</p>

Who has been evicted from I’m a Celebrity so far?

Who has been evicted from I’m a Celebrity so far? Who has been evicted from …